Tokyo, Bangkok and Taipei are Agoda’s top three destinations for travellers across Asia to celebrate this year’s Lunar New Year. Tokyo overtook Bangkok as the top destination climbing from third place in 2018 to the top spot, while Taipei moves to the third place.
Taiwan is also this year’s key destination with Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung and Tainan in the top 10 cities.
Top 10 Lunar New Year Destinations for travellers across Asia in 2020 (Agoda)
Lunar New Year Travel Highlights by Market
- China – Chinese travellers’ top international destination cities are Tokyo, Osaka and Sapporo in Japan.
- Thailand – Thai travellers are headed to Japan with eight of the top 10 cities in Japan.
- Japan – Japanese travellers are headed to more tropical destinations – Bangkok (1st), Pattaya (3rd), Chiang Mai (9th) and Singapore (7th), Cebu (8th) and Honolulu (10th). Seoul moved from 4th in 2019 to 2nd this year.
- South Korea – They are heading to beach destinations with top ten destinations including Nha Trang (3rd), Da Nang (4th), Cebu (6th), Guam (8th) and Bali (10th)
- Singapore – Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand are the main beneficiaries from Singapore travellers this Lunar New Year. Batam, Johor Bahru and Kuala Lumpur scoop the top three cities’ titles.
- Taiwan – Taiwanese travellers are headed to Japan with seven of the top 10 destinations within that country. Seoul (6th) and Busan (9th) are also destinations for the year.
- Vietnam – The Vietnamese celebrate Tet in Bangkok (1st), Singapore (2nd) and Taipei (3rd).
- Indonesia – THey will be heading to Kuala Lumpur (1st), Genting Highlands (4th), Penang (6th), Johor Bahru (8th) and Kuching (9th).
- Malaysia – Neighbouring Thailand is popular with five of its top destination cities including Hat Yai (1st), Bangkok (2nd), Krabi (3rd), Phuket (4th) and Koh Lipe (10th).